Another object of these grain depots was to better control the price of grain, as in times of scarcity the local farmers charged most exorbitant prices, and also tried to prevent importation. On the arrival of Governor Macquarie's successor, Sir Thomas Brisbane, he called for a report on the public buildings of the colony. The milk returns sent by Andrew Thompson to him amounted to £60 0s. In the performance of this heroic work his health was seriously undermined. The foundation stone of a brick chapel, thirty-two feet by sixteen feet, was laid by the Rev.
The first era of the history of Green Hills ends here, and the second stage in its history as Windsor begins. Extract from Government and General Order, dated 15th December, 1810, issued on the return of his Excellency Governor Macquarie from an extensive tour of inspection through the various districts where agriculture and the breeding of cattle have occupied the attention of settlers. We have quoted from this report, which was made in 1824, in the articles dealing with the Hospital, St. This is a fitting place to insert some further particulars as to the expenditure and the condition of certain other Windsor buildings:— Extracts from report of the value of the improvements which have taken place in the Public Buildings of Sydney, Parramatta, Windsor, Liverpool, and Campbelltown, from December 25th, 1822, to December 24th, 1823, and an expose of the present state of Public Buildings in New South Wales, by order of his Excellency Sir Thomas Brisbane, made by S. Harris, Architect, in 1824:— "Commissariat Offices, etc.—The office is a shed adjoining the end of the store, about eighty feet long, with two storeys." "The School Room, Old Hospital, Store, and Dr. Andrew Thompson also had a large store-keeping business at the Green Hills (Windsor), which, according to an advertisement in the Sydney Gazette, was taken over by Mr.
The same figures will be found in Waugh's Almanac for 1859. They were all local men, judging by their names: John Howe (leader), and his son-in-law George Loder, Andrew Howe, William Dargan, Philip Thornley, and Benjamin Singleton, after whom a northern town is named. It is interesting to notice the rapid development of the town of Windsor and district during the regime of Governor Macquarie. We have difficulty in locating the buildings numbered 6, 7, 8, and 9. A few years after, what was known as Cope's Farm was sold. Thompson was enabled to accumulate considerable property, and what was more valuable to him, to possess the confidence of some of the most distinguished characters of this country, the consciousness of which surmounted the private solicitude of re-visiting his native country, and led him rather to yield to the wish of passing the evening of his life where his manhood had been meritoriously exerted, than of returning to the land which gave him birth. Thompson's intrinsic good qualities were appreciated by his Excellency the present Governor (Macquarie), who soon after his arrival here was pleased to appoint him a Magistrate, for which situation Mr. This act, which restored him to that rank in Society which he had lost, made so deep an impression on his grateful heart as to induce him to bequeath to the Governor one-fourth of his Fortune.
During Governor Macquarie's regime (1810-22) Windsor was really a military settlement. Roads were made, magistrates and clergymen were appointed, churches and schools provided, public buildings erected, such as court house, gaol, military barracks, and hospital. One was made into a temporary chapel in 1810; downstairs a church, upstairs a school, and residence for the chaplain. Three-storey provision store and granary, bought from Andrew Thompson's estate. A large building stood on the site of the present School of Arts, known at the time as the old military hospital, and where soldiers were seen standing on guard. Another three-storey building stood behind the present School of Arts, and was the church in use until the opening of St. We can find no trace of this being used for any other purpose than that of a church and school, and we hesitate to name it No. It consisted of portions of the grants to Joseph Smallwood, and Thomas Riccaby, granted to them in 17. Thompson's natural good sense and a superior knowledge of the laws of his country peculiarly fitted him. This most useful and valuable Man closed his Earthly career on the 22nd Day of October, 1810, at His House at Windsor of which he was the principal Founder in the 37th year of his age, with[in] the Hope of [an] Eternal Life. The above inscription, having become weather-worn, was recut by Travis, of Richmond, about 1908, the coat having been collected in Windsor. Alexander Dandie, who retired on account of advancing years, in 1912, but he only lived a few months after his retirement, as he died on 17th December, 1912, aged seventy-two years.
We find, therefore, that several large granaries were built at the Green Hills, at first constructed of logs, and afterwards brick buildings of two and three stories. Captain Putland died in 1808, and was buried first in old St. The first Wesleyan class-meeting was held in 1812, when six members were enrolled, and the number soon increased to nineteen. Carvosso arrived in New South Wales in 1820, and was settled at Windsor the same year. The Wesleyan Church took a keen interest in missionary affairs, especially from 1820 to 1830, and some large missionary meetings were held. The Articles have been the subject of considerable correspondence, both in the local paper and direct to the author. Henry Selkirk, of the Lands Department, and for several years a kindly neighbour in Killara. The following year many more families were settled, and as the natives were troublesome, some troops from the N. It is of interest to note that Lieutenant Grose was the son of Captain Grose, concerning whose peregrinations through Scotland the poet Burns wrote: A chiel's amang you takin' notes, And faith he'll print it. The Grants from the year 1800 to 1804 were as follows—Thomas Hobby, William Bates, Lydia Austen, Charles Marsden (900 acres), William Ezzy (130 acres), Henry Cox, and Andrew Thompson. The bat of missing books is given, which includes such standard works as Milton, Burns, Sterne, Thomson, Hervey and others. The foundation stones of this church were laid by Rev. By this means valuable revisions and additions have been made. "I have read the articles on the 'Early Days of Windsor', by the Rev. "As a native of Windsor, with a clear recollection of the past seventy-five years, I may say that the author has spared no pains to make his statements accurate and reliable. The earliest Hawkesbury Crown grants included those to Samuel Wilcox, John Brindley, William Bond, John Ruffler, Alexander Wilson, and Whaelen. Thomas Westmore and William Anderson, James Ruse, Ann Blady and Joseph Smallwood, in 1797. These may be easily located on the map of the Parish of St. The grants for the same period made near Pitt Town were:—Messrs. A Government order, dated 8th April, 1804, ordered that all boats trading on the Hawkesbury River should be numbered and registered by Andrew Thompson, head constable, otherwise they would be confiscated. This tour occupied the time from 6th November to 13th December, 1810:— "The frequent inundations of the rivers Hawkesbury and Nepean having been hitherto attended with the most calamitous effects, with regard to crops growing in their vicinity, and in consequence of most serious injury to the necessary subsistence of the colony, the Governor has deemed it expedient (in order to guard as far as human foresight can extend against the recurrence of such calamities), to erect certain townships in the most contiguous and eligible high grounds in the several districts subjected to those inundations for the purpose of rendering every possible accommodation and security to the settlers whose farms are exposed to the floods. It is probably the building still standing behind the police barracks. West's House are on a small scale, and the latter in a very dilapidated state." "Court House (with plan).—The building is so badly executed that tho' it has not been built two years, strong settlements are showing themselves in the walls and ceilings, and the interior accommodations are not at all adapted for the purpose intended, as the plan will show." "General Observations.—The author of this report, etc., etc., would advert to the expensive and insufficient plan pursued in making and repairing bridges—the one now re-building at Windsor is a proof of this assertion, for instead of throughing over a stout truss'd and framed wooden bridge of one arch (which from the bold situation of the banks might have been done at little more cost than what is now expended) the same principle is still followed as that at first introduced into the colon; by placing piles in the sides and bed of the river, which collect all the rubbish continually floating down, and in the event of a flood must unavoidably destroy every bridge so constructed." With regard to this report we may say that the Court House stands to-day strong and solid, and in constant use, and likely to last for many years to come. Matthew's Church, but it seems as strong and hard to-day as it was ninety years ago. On 10th August, 1829, the first Circuit Court was opened in Windsor by Judge Stephen. John Howe, in December, 1809, he having had on sale "Woollens, drapery, and all sorts of lines." Governor Macquarie landed in New South Wales 28th December, 1809, and took over the administration of affaire of the colony 1st January, 1810, from Lieutenant Governor Foveaux, and on 12th January, 1810, less than a fortnight after his arrival, Governor Macquarie made Andrew Thompson a Justice of the Peace, and appointed him as Chief Magistrate for the district of the Hawkesbury. In pursuance of this plan, and with a view to the prosperity of the country, he has already fixed upon the most eligible situations within the several districts bordering on these rivers, and marked out on the several Commons where the townships are to be established, and each settler will be assigned an allotment of ground for a dwelling house, offices, garden, corn-yard, and stock yard, proportioned to the extent of the farm he holds within the influence of the floods; but it is to be clearly understood that the allotments so given, being intended as places of security for the produce of the lands on the banks of the Hawkesbury and Nepean, cannot be sold or alienated in any manner whatever, but with the farms to which they are from the commencement to be annexed, and they are to be always considered as forming an inseparable part of the said farms. Thomas Bayliss was tried for house-breaking at Mulgrave, and was executed on 31st October, 1829. Governor Macquarie reports that on 30th April, 1810, Andrew Thompson was received at the Governor's table, in Sydney, along with Simeon Lord, an opulent Sydney merchant, and Dr.